file Club Event 23rd November 2014

More
29 Sep 2014 09:20 #1 by Ralph
Ralph created the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
The club event for November will be a group event of 'Saga', run along the lines of September's 'Sword and Spear' event that was well subscribed. I will organise people into pairs, with the aim of introducing members with Dark Age armies to the new version of 'Saga' featured in the recently released Crusade period set of rules 'Crescent and Cross'. Bring along any existing 6 point 'Saga' warband that you have, and we will play scenarios taken from the new edition that you will not yet have experienced. We will adopt all the rule changes that have been made, but don't worry if you haven't a copy of 'Crescent and Cross'; the changes will rapidly become apparent to you and may inspire you to make additions to your existing warbands (adding priests and religious advisers for instance). There will be at least two players bringing along factions from 'Crescent and Cross', so you may find yourself fighting one of the new factions as well. The Dark Age and Crusade factions are entirely compatible, so this will not cause any problems.

We will probably get time for two games in an afternoon, so I will predetermine these pairings to give players the widest possible exposure to the new factions and the new scenarios. This will be a good opportunity for anyone intending to take part in the 'Saga' tournament at PAW 2015 to familiarise themselves with some of the scenarios that will be featured then, and should prove an enjoyable, non-competitive afternoon of wargaming.

I will need to know if you wish to participate in advance so that I can organise pairings. Please let me know either verbally or by posting on this forum.

Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2014 17:29 #2 by Brett
Brett replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
Hi Ralph

I would like to take party please and I'll bring down 6 points of Milites Christi.

Cheers

Brett

More
02 Oct 2014 19:27 #3 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
Hi Ralph

Count me in m8, Milites Christi

Failing that.....cheese and onion

Gary :cheer: ;) :P

More
07 Oct 2014 08:06 - 23 Nov 2014 10:16 #4 by Ralph
Ralph replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
I'll keep a list here of the names of participants. As with the Sword and Spear event, it will be important that people register their interest, in order for me to sort out pairings. If your name doesn't appear here, and you want to take part, please let me know. Also, it would help to know which faction you will be playing:

Ralph Astley - Saracens
Brett Andrews - Milites Christi
Gary Rich - Milites Christi?
John Roberts?
Dan Edgcumbe - Vikings
Chris Pearse - TBA
Kurt Baker - Anglo-Saxons
Dave Ellis - Vikings
Stephen Luscombe - Welsh
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2014 10:16 by Ralph.

More
04 Nov 2014 17:04 #5 by DaiBry
DaiBry replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
Hi Ralph

I am now available for this one, so count me in. I'll be bringing my Vikings - assuming that you are allowing Heroes.

Cheers,

Dave

More
04 Nov 2014 17:12 #6 by Ralph
Done

More
17 Nov 2014 08:47 #7 by Ralph
It looks like there will be eight of us taking part in this, but John Roberts may be moor walking if the weather permits. If we end up with an odd number then one table can feature a three player game. I thought a good idea would be to play as two teams, so that there will be a 'winner' at the end of the afternoon. I was going to place all the new factions on one side (that's me, Brett, and possibly Gary if he can work out a warband with his figures) and hopefully there will be time for two games. If so we can change opponents and then most Dark Age players will play against at least one Crusade player.

Ralph

More
17 Nov 2014 17:05 #8 by stephenluscombe
stephenluscombe replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
If you are in need of an 8th player - I could press my LOTR figures into service as Normans. Pretty similar looking and they've done it before. I can be on standby if required!

More
17 Nov 2014 17:47 #9 by Ralph

stephenluscombe wrote: If you are in need of an 8th player - I could press my LOTR figures into service as Normans. Pretty similar looking and they've done it before. I can be on standby if required!

Why don't I lend you a warband and you play regardless of numbers - the more the merrier.

I don't mind you making use of my Welsh.

Ralph

More
17 Nov 2014 17:54 #10 by stephenluscombe
stephenluscombe replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
Sure thing! Whatever is easiest! I'll have to read the rules again! I think I've only played it twice:-)

More
17 Nov 2014 18:12 #11 by Brett
Looking forward to it Ralph.

God wills it!

Brett

More
23 Nov 2014 19:54 #12 by Ralph
Well, by and large the new factions were comprehensively whipped by the old.

The two teams consisted of:
Team A
Ralph (Saracens)
Brett (Milites Christi)
Gary (Milites Christi)
Stephen (Welsh)

Team B
Kurt (Anglo-Saxons)
Dave E (Vikings)
Chris P (Anglo-Danes)
Dan (Vikings)

Two rounds were played and featured five different scenarios (Assault at Dawn being played in three games, Battle Twilight once, Champion of the Gods once, Captured twice, plus a stray Clash of Warlords from the original book that slipped in)

With two points for a win, and one point for a draw, Team B won decisively eleven points to five. I'm looking forward to playing these scenarios more often as they are all superior to the original rulebook.

Thanks everyone for participating - it was a good afternoon's gaming.
Ralph

More
23 Nov 2014 20:57 - 23 Nov 2014 20:59 #13 by Brett
Thanks for running the event Ralph. I enjoyed it despite my frustration at my incompetence at SAGA!

Cheers

Brett
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2014 20:59 by Brett.

More
24 Nov 2014 16:53 #14 by DaiBry
DaiBry replied the topic: Club Event 23rd November 2014
Yes, thanks Ralph. A great couple of games.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds
Joomla Template: from JoomlaShack