file Club Event 21st September 2014

More
08 Sep 2014 16:50 #1 by Ralph
Ralph created the topic: Club Event 21st September 2014
There are now ten members signed up for the Sword and Spear event on 21st September, making it the biggest group event so far. If you are thinking of taking part please let me know as soon as possible. The armies will consist of 500 points, cannot include camps, and must abide by the restrictions laid out in the on-line army lists. Units will need to be based according to DBx conventions (therefore 40mm wide frontages for individual bases) and consist of two cavalry bases abreast, or four infantry bases two abreast.

There seems to be two main historical periods - Hellenistic and 'Rome and her Enemies'. Therefore, provisionally, the ten participants will play as follows:
Dave Ellis (Republican Romans) and Mark Crisp (Republican Romans) versus Dave Putt (Carthaginians) and Chris Pearse (Carthaginians)
Kevin Shillito (Pontic) and Gary Rich (Macedonians) versus Derek Bartlett (Thracians) and Adam Pearse (Parthians)
Charles King (Imperial Romans) versus Steve Pearse (Spanish)

These groupings aren't as historically accurate as they could be, but I have tried to also disperse players with experience of the rules so that the games run more smoothly.

If anyone's name does not appear, and they wish to take part -let me know, but don't pitch up on the day and expect to get a game. We might be able to pair you off with another casual entrant, but it will not be easy to organise this without notice.

Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2014 15:06 #2 by Ralph
Ralph replied the topic: Club Event 21st September 2014
Chris Dwane is also coming to the party, bringing 500 points of Thessalians. It would make more sense to place this army in the 'Hellenistic' group and transfer Adam's Parthians to the group that contains Imperial Romans.

We may have to reduce some armies and pair them, as there is now an odd number of players. Anyone else lurking who hasn't entered yet? It would be better to have an even number, and I really won't be able to join in a game now that there are so many things to keep an eye on.

Ralph

More
14 Sep 2014 07:34 #3 by Ralph
John Roberts will also be taking part, using Romans. We now have twelve participants, making a nice even number. Still time for people to join in, but it may be hard to place you in a game so try to persuade someoone else to join you who isn't already named above.

I will rearrange the matchings and let people know on the day who they will be playing against. Three four-player games would seem to be the way to go.

Ralph

More
16 Sep 2014 11:54 - 16 Sep 2014 11:55 #4 by Ralph
Talking to other members who know the rules, I have changed my mind and think we now have sufficient members with a working knowledge of the rules to run six two-player games. These will be easier, as the four-player game adds another layer which is probably best avoided when learning the game. Also, bring 500 points, but if you want reduce it on the day when you are matched against your opponent if they want to do the same. A 500 point game takes a while to finish. It isn't a problem one way or the other, as the idea is to explore the rules rather than necessarily finish a game.

Can people please try to work out their points from the on-line army lists:

polkovnik.moonfruit.com/sword-spear-army-lists/4584877293

That will save some time on the day.

Ralph
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014 11:55 by Ralph.

More
16 Sep 2014 18:55 #5 by Ralph
Mark Lewis has added some extra options to the Greek Hoplite list if anyone is fielding an army based on them.

I have down Chris Pearse, Adam Pearse, Steve Pearse, and Kevin Shillito as players with experience of the rules. If anyone else has read the rules and/or played a game, and feels they could play a less experienced opponent with my guidance, then please let me know.

Ralph

More
21 Sep 2014 07:37 #6 by DaiBry
DaiBry replied the topic: Club Event 21st September 2014
Republican Romans wound up and ready to go! Won't know what I'm doing but, hey, it'll look good! :woohoo:

Dave

More
21 Sep 2014 20:42 #7 by Ralph
Thanks to everyone who participated in this afternoon's event. Your good humour and sporting behaviour made the whole thing a pleasure.
Ralph

Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2014 19:37 #8 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Club Event 21st September 2014
PEANUUUUUUUUUTTTTSSSSS !!!!!

Great Day Ralph !! :evil:

Time to create page: 0.877 seconds
Joomla Template: from JoomlaShack