file Salute's future at Excel

More
04 Mar 2015 13:54 #1 by Ralph
Ralph created the topic: Salute's future at Excel
Following on from his speculative comments on Facebook, Gary Mitchell has now written in Wargames, Soldiers, and Strategy that 2015 will be the last at Excel.

The South London Warlords have now issued a statement in an attempt to quash this story, which is likely to undermine confidence in the 2016 event and has no basis in fact:

"THE SOUTH LONDON WARLORDS AND SALUTE

The South London Warlords would like to reassure gamers and traders that SALUTE will be held at Excel for the foreseeable future. We operate on a rolling contract with the management at ExCel and, as such, we are committed to running SALUTE there in 2016 and beyond.

SALUTE, we are pleased to say, is a thriving event and continues to grow every year. Each year, The South London Warlords aim to improve the show and hope to give both visitors and traders a great day out and provide gamers with a chance to see the best the gaming hobby has to offer.

This year’s show is looking to be even bigger than last year’s. We have over 100 participation and demonstration games for you to look at, plus well over 150 trade stands for you to visit, along with the internationally renowned SALUTE painting competition.

The South London Warlords hope you will enjoy the vibrant atmosphere and have an exciting day of gaming at SALUTE, whether you are a veteran gamer or someone looking to start in the hobby.

The President
The South London Warlords"

I have written to Guy Bowers, the editor of Wargames, Soldiers, and Strategy asking him to include a correction to Gary Mitchell's article in the next magazine. Hopefully these rumours will be quashed long before they do further damage.

Ralph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2015 16:29 #2 by Brett
Brett replied the topic: Salute's future at Excel
Well that's good news.

More
09 Mar 2015 13:35 #3 by Clive
Clive replied the topic: Salute's future at Excel
This story had been doing the rounds for a while. I heard it from several of the traders at PAW2015 and from another major trader who doesn't attend our show. Haven't managed to find out where the story originated but I am very surprised it made it into print without a solid verifiable source! I'll follow up your email, Ralph, to Guy Bowers as I'll be speaking to him shortly. Well done for highlighting this.

More
09 Mar 2015 14:03 #4 by Ralph
Ralph replied the topic: Salute's future at Excel
If so many traders have been convinced of this story and are still disseminating it, then I think Guy Bowers should definitely print a correction. Many of those traders will already be making plans for 2016 and the sooner they know that the show's future is safe, the better. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by Guy's reply to me - he basically shrugged editorial responsibility by saying that he had discussed with his boss the possibility of adding a disclaimer to all articles in future stating that opinions expressed did not necessarily reflect that of the editor. The trouble is that Gary Mitchell stated unequivocally that this year would be Salute's last at Excel. If he had couched it in 'possibly' then it would not have been so bad, though he should have been more sure of his facts.

Guy would probably welcome your input, as the article was on the future of wargames shows in general
Ralph

More
09 Mar 2015 15:28 #5 by Clive
Thanks for the heads up on that article, Ralph. I'll check it out. Stopped buying WSS mag a while ago (but I will read it in Smiths!). It wouldn't surprise me if the story had actually been true at the time of publishing but the Warlords have sorted themselves out. The original reason given to me was that Excel had substantially increased their prices. The reason the Warlords got it cheaper is because of the London Marathon weekend when nobody wants to book the Excel!

We actually had no mag reporters at the show officially this time. Guy Bowers was in Holland for a show sponsored by the mags publisher and W.I. wouldn't pay for Paul Davies to cover the show, though he did turn up on the Saturday. Magazine editors aren't generally interested in covering shows except the really big ones. And even then some of the content is a bit dubious!

More
09 Mar 2015 16:38 #6 by Brett
It will be interesting to hear what the Salute organisers think of the article when we speak to them at the show.

Not impressed I would have thought and surely they could demand a correction be printed?

More
10 Mar 2015 13:18 #7 by Clive
Gary Mitchell has certainly kicked up a sh1tstorm! Some of his comments are just laughable, especially about small traders not going to shows because they can't afford it! If they are selling what the buying want then they won't have a problem. He's using his own small business (Space Vixens From Mars) as a guide but as he puts on the same game year after year (and doesn't really trade!) there is no surprise. Still, he has opened up a debate. Check this link for some really good comments - www.facebook.com/WSSMagazine/posts/78080...5274588¬if_t=like

More
10 Mar 2015 19:36 #8 by Brett
Thanks Clive

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds
Joomla Template: by JoomlaShack